Friday, April 29, 2011

The Royal Hoopla.. an American Girl's Perspective

Ahhh the Royal Wedding Day.. Twitter and Facebook has been flooded with opinions... and you know what they say about opinions.. they are like assholes.. and even assholes have one! I, of course am an asshole.. and OF COURSE I HAVE ONE!! and here on MY blog.. I always get to be right..lol.
So.. There are of course the Anti- Wedding, The Anti-English, the Anti-Hoopla people.. who complain a lot.. after saying that none of this is worth our attention!.. sure seems like a huge waste of their all important energy, for something that isn't important! Right? lol
I will say this.. Yes.. The English have been our enemies.. yes they have been our oppressors in history.. they have in one way or another dominated, or domineered many different countries, and their people. Yep.. their monarchy is very simply a figurehead, providing nothing but a grotesque misuse of England's $$.

So Why is it that we care? People say that we shouldn't.. after all it's not OUR country right? they aren't OUR Royalty right? so Why DO we care? Why DO we have Royal Wedding Parties? We go out of our way and get up at 4 a.m. to watch all the pomp and circumstance. why?

Well I can tell you Why a lot of us DO care.

First .. the female perspective..

As an American Girl.. we don't often have the opportunity to become a Princess.. and Damn it.. Walt Disney Promised us that one day our Prince would come.. if we were good girls, virtuous and kind and did everything right.. our Prince would come. So we were good girls.. and we kissed a hell of a lot of FROGS.. on the long road to Royalty.. an a very rare few of us have ever made it .
As a girl.. the Handsome Prince was supposed to come and take us away from all of this.... this what? this mundane, non Royal life? I guess.
So we waited.. and we watched England and other countries that have a Monarchy. Occasionally someone got married.. for me and others of my age group, that was, of course the Marriage of Prince Charles, to Lady Diana Spencer.

The "Outsider looking in" perspective:
So We know now, that this was, most certainly an 'arranged' marriage.. Prince Charles was in love with Camilla Parker.. who was just about to marry another man.. She was not appropriate for Royalty..said the queen. She was older.. she was not a virgin.. not appropriate.. so the royal "matchmaker" found the lovely lady Di.. her father was a lord, and therefore Royal.. but still very nearly a commoner... But they married, and all the rest is history.. they didn't get along. He knew his place ( he was a stuffy mofo) .. she felt it her duty, having the clout, to HELP people.. she took the SERVICE part of her role very seriously.. for Di it wasn't just about making an appearance for the cameras.. she actively participated... she walked the landmine filled fields, and helped dig wells so others could have fresh water. She was a GOOD Samaritan, and In my opinion, the best thing that could have ever happened to the monarchy.

She despised the intrusion into her life, but chose to be gracious, and when her sons were born, she gave everyone a glimpse, and helped them to understand their position.. she also taught them to be good people and to take their service to others seriously. She created a life for them that was as 'normal' as it could be.
She did good.. and she left too soon..

Along came Fergie.. she's bawdy.. and had a very 'Fuck you' attitude that I could wrap my head around. Di and Fergie changed the way things worked in the monarchy.. Divorce? HELL NO... they both said " oh HELL YEAH".. and paved the way for their children to lead, while still a ROYAL lifestyle, a chance for them to proceed with their lives, in a way that they weren't allowed to.

So this prince.. he Married a COMMONER.. a COMMONER!!! this is crazy! This young man was allowed to marry the person that he LOVED.. His father wasn't.. His mother wasn't.. and they were both miserable. Charles finally married Camilla... I kind of feel bad that her title is "Royal Consort"... but I love that the Queen is realizing that her monarchy , has changed, and that allowing her grandsons, and granddaughters to marry who they WANT to marry, will keep the 'bad press' to a minimum.
So it was nice to see the future king of England to marry the girl that he loves.. and that Commoner to marry her PRINCE.

So Why do we care? Well.. I love that a person, who historically, wouldn't have been allowed to be happy.. get's to marry the girl he loves.. I love that his mother would have fought for him to have this privilege, and his father did in her stead. I care also because.. like many Americans This History is partly MY history.. a lot of people have gotten off the boats onto American Soil. from all over the world.. But many were English.

On my fathers side, I am only a second Generation American.. he was Hungarian and he and his younger sister, my aunt Helen were the only ones actually born in the US.
On my mother's side.. well that's different... Her mother was German.. her Father? was a Partington.. yep English as it comes.. Coat of Arms and everything His father? they called him Pappy.. and his father was English and his mother was an Irish Ginger, as he turned out to be ( oh the stories of Pappy's red hair and beard!) .. so yeah.. Many Americans have British Blood, delivered down from as far back as the beginning of our American invasion!

So I might remind some of my friends who are Anti English, as they are Very much Irish and resent the Country that has created so much anger and violence toward theirs.. that WE AMERICANs, and THIS generation of Royals , are about as responsible for all that as we were for the American Revolution.. that was not us.. it was a different time.. and it's time to come together people. Hell in MY Generation, it's been the Irish fighting other Irish.. like THAT makes sense either! lol

So yeah maybe we are still somewhat in touch with our roots.. Maybe we just like to look at the pretty dresses.. and admire the Dashing young Princes ( who were as Dashing as Dashing gets!!- and yes I like to say Dashing..) and maybe we like to make fun of the silly hats ( Beatrice REALLY? WTF?).. and make fun of fucking Bitchy Beckham and her ugly millinery ( why does that horrible woman always look like she's just been fed a wasp?).. oh and how about that ugly fucking KID? seriously.. I know the children are included because they are the youngest members of the distant royal family , but sweet Jesus, that one kid had the hugest head I've ever seen.. and I swear she was just a zombie, and beautiful Pippa just held her hand to keep her from eating the brains out of all the guests.. gahhhh! What a train wreck that kid.. wasn't there a PRETTIER cousin? seriously? yikes.. I had a hard time Enjoying Pretty Pippa in her lovely shape hugging gown because my focus was consistently drawn to that GOBLIN to her right.. yikes..
ok enough dissing the poor ugly child.. she can't help it after all.. all that Royal inbreeding and such. right? lol

So In the end.. YES I loved the dress.. I thought it was just "meringue" enough and just fitted enough and just enough lace ( I fucking hate lace).. I did love her flowers.. love that she didn't have the 80's style 29 pound bouquet.. I loved that all the flowers had meaning.. I love that one of the flowers was a Sweet William..

I found that I disagreed with all of the fags ( Except Rupert ) who didn't like the dress Carole Middleton was wearing.. I thought it lovely.. I even Liked Camilla's dress ( do you really want to see her in anything too tight? I think not) and I actually LOVED her hat .
I love the pomp and circumstance.. Why? who knows! maybe because we DON'T do that here... I love the Amazing Cathedral.. I just do.. I'm a sucker for a Gothic Arch.. and I love that they had trees inside it ..
Americans like to go Big or Go HOME and we LOVE THAT SHIT.. it is, oddly enough the same reason we go watch ridiculously giant trucks run over shit.. and ridiculously loud Bands that ruin our hearing.. because its BIG! We tend to like big..

So, in closing.. we American Girls and most of the Girls around the world, who've dreamed of marrying JUST like lovely Miss Middleton did today, often do find a prince.. he's often not rich.. but he loves us Royally. Our dreams of giant cathedrals evolve into our family church, or a favorite beach.., a dear friend's living room or in my case.. my favorite park.. We will still be surrounded by friends and family, and we will still feel like Queen for a Day..
We watch.. we will always watch..hell if they just televised joe Schmoe's wedding every day.. I would watch.. they should have a Wedding Channel.. I would watch. Because, While some will compare Charles Marriage to Diana a sham.. and that it was like leading an innocent lamb into slaughter.. for her son.. it was about Love.. and I love that..
Because for most of us, it's about that sweet and wonderful emotion.. we long to share OUR love with the world, they just GET to. so good on 'em
I will always watch...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Jana, your brutally honest perspective made me nearly fall off my chair (especially the part about the goblin child) ROFLMAO. Thanks for this blog. You keep writing, and I'll keep reading. Excellent! Muwah!

    ~Roger C.~

    ReplyDelete